Capgemini ha desarrollado un amplio programa para definir y ejecutar la estrategia corporativa y la visión de Cell C, uno de los proveedores de telefonía móvil más importante de Sudáfrica.
“Cell C has made tremendous progress over the past 18 months and Capgemini have
been true partners in helping us on this journey.”
Jeffrey Hedberg, Chief Executive Officer, Cell C
With over 4.8 million mobile subscribers, Cell C is South Africa’s third-largest
cellular service provider.
Launched in 2001, Cell C witnessed rapid success during the initial years, but
gradually began to struggle with changing market dynamics and stiff competitive
pressures leading to:
- slowing subscriber growth
- high customer churn
- escalating costs with little scale advantages
- lack of clear focus.
The result, an inadequate growth trajectory, was against a backdrop of substantially
bigger competitors with deep pockets. Cell C needed a fast turnaround to pull
its business back to stability, and then move towards profitability and growth
in line with shareholder expectations.
Cell C looked to Capgemini’s Telecom Media and Entertainment practice to help
them diagnose the problem and formulate a solution.
Led by Capgemini, a joint team of consultants and Cell C team members worked
diligently to assess the market prospects and strategic options for Cell C. Working
closely with the Cell C Management Team/Executive Committee, the team devised
an inspiring vision and a 5-year corporate strategy to put the company back on
the path to profitability and growth. The key elements of the strategy were to:
- focus on operational efficiency for increased service levels and margins
- exploit increased efficiency to offer best value for money services
- aggressively increase market penetration via new pricing
- complement own customer base with targeted Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs)
to penetrate hard-to-reach segments.
The implementation of the strategy has resulted in significant EBITDA and cash
flow improvement without workforce reduction. Positive signs are evident throughout
the business, signaling success:
- strategy execution is being driven by the CEO supported by a fully committed
- company-wide clarity on the strategic direction enabling focus
- step-change improvement in customer experience
- improved IT and network operations ensuring service quality.
“Beyond their solid Telco insights, the Capgemini’s collaborative approach has
ensured that ideas have been transferred from paper to actions…and ultimately to
─ Harri Rauhala, Chief Strategy Officer, Cell C